J.S. Bach - Prelude in C major
J.S. Bach - Prelude in G major
Conductor and cellist Christian Benda received his professional training within his family, where the musical tradition has been maintained through generations.
He is chief conductor and artistic director of the Prague Sinfonia Orchestra created under the impulse of its Honorary President Václav Havel.
His engagements have taken him to music centers in Paris, Vienna, London, Budapest, Prague, Warsaw, Bucharest, Hong Kong, Rio de Janeiro and Rome, and to international festivals including: George Enescu Bucharest, Schwetzingen, Echternach (Luxemburg), La Roque d’Anthéron (France), Cité de la musique (Paris), Prague Spring, Wratislavia Cantans (Poland), Clifden Arts (Ireland), Campos do Jordao (Brazil), Hong Kong Arts, Klangbogen Wien, Styriarte and Steirischer Herbst (Austria), Lugano Festival, and Menuhin Festival (Switzerland).
Among the instrumentalists having performed with Christian Benda we also find Lazar Berman, Michel Béroff, Till Fellner, Francois-René Duchable, Mikhail Rudy, Josef Suk, Vladimir Spivakov, Pierre Amoyal, Uto Ughi, Bruno Giuranna, Paul Tortelier, Boris Pergamenschikov, Philippe Entremont, Jean-Philippe Collard, Cristina Ortiz, and Marc Coppet.
Christian Benda has produced numerous CD and TV recordings of the standard repertoire such as the complete overtures of Schubert and Rossini, and an eclectic repertoire ranging from J S Bach’s Musical Offering to twentieth century symphonic works by Casella, Malipiero, Prokofiev, Debussy, Martinu, Enescu and Stravinsky, taking in along the way C P E Bach’s symphonies and curiosities like Philidor’s overtures and Knecht’s Pastoral Symphony. His recordings with soloists include works by Wagner and Richard Strauss with Cheryl Studer, Verdi with Simon Estes, Mozart with Barbara Hendricks, and Dvorak, Puccini and Previn with Renée Fleming. Also on the list are Frank Martin with Paul Badura-Skoda, Haydn with Jean-Jacques Kantorow and the Verdi Requiem with the Prague Philharmonic Choir.
He performs the complete Bach solo suites, Haydn and Dvorak concertos, Tchaikovsky Rococo Variations, and has recorded the Schumann and Stamitz cello concertos. He appeared with Vladimir Spivakov, Josef Suk, Norbert Brainin, and Paul Badura-Skoda in Brahms' double and Beethoven's triple concertos, and in Mozart's Sinfonia Concertante. He has recorded a number of complete works for the cello, such as those of Schumann, Beethoven, Brahms, Stamitz, and Martinu, as well as Boccherini sonatas.
As a composer, he has created the concept of micro-opera, and his works have been premiered at the Vienna Konzerthaus and the Prague Smetana Hall.
Pierre Fournier who was his guide in cello expression wrote about him: 'His high artistic qualities are in the most absolute sense totally devoted to the service of music. It is a personal privilege to have him as a disciple and my long professional experience can predict for him a career wide open to success. His human qualities equal his great artistic talent and he deserves the recognition of all musicians who will have the privilege of assuring the cooperation of his great talent.'
For the cello, he created the 'Christian Benda System', a device which regulates the distance between chest and instrument, giving advantages which are both anatomical and technical.
For bookings in the U.S. and Canada, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. For all other countries, please contact email@example.com.
Television and Radio Recordings
- Czech Television, Prague, Mozart Opera Arias, B. Hendricks soprano, C. Benda conductor, Prague Chamber Orchestra.
- Czech Television, Ostrava, Haydn Creation, Mozart Concert Arias, S. Estes bass, C. Benda conductor, Janacek Philharmony.
- Czech Television, The Benda Family nowadays, a documentary film
- Radio Slovenija, Bloch Shelomo, C. Benda cello, M. Horvat conductor, Slovenian Philharmony.
- ART Television, Belgrade, J.S. Bach, C. Benda cello solo.
- POLSAT Television, Warsaw, Ravel Bolero, French & Italian Opera Arias, B. Hendricks soprano, C. Benda conductor, Polish National Opera Orchestra.
- Polish TV, Wroclaw, Mozart Opera Arias & Jupiter Symphony, B. Hendricks soprano, C. Benda conductor, Virtuosi di Praga.
- BBC, Belfast, Tortelier Double Concerto,Y. P. Tortelier violin, M. Tortelier cello, C. Benda conductor, Ulster Orchestra.
- Radio Luxemburg, Mozart Opera Arias, B. Hendricks soprano, C. Benda conductor, Capella Istopolitana.
- Radio France, Haydn C Major Cello Concerto, Stamitz Sinfonia Concertante for violin and cello, J. Suk violin and conductor, C. Benda cello, Suk Chamber Orchestra.
- Radio France, Haydn, Mendelssohn, Shostakovich, M. Rudy piano, V. Kafelnikov trumpet, C. Benda conductor, Orchestre d¹Auvergne.
- ORF, Austria, Mozart, Concerto for Two Pianos, C. Ortiz piano, S. Benda piano, C. Benda conductor, Slovak Sinfonietta.
- ORF, Austria, Debussy, Fauré, Schumann, C. Benda cello, S. Benda piano.
- ORF, Austria, Rossi, C. Benda cello solo.
- ORF, Austria, Beethoven, Dvorak, Klein, Krasa, Schubert, J. Suk violin, B. Giuranna viola, C. Benda cello, J. Hala piano.
- Hessischer Rundfunk, Germany, F. Benda, C. Benda cello, S. Benda harpsichord.
- SWR Baden-Baden, Germany, J.A. Benda, Beethoven, Hindemith, Suk, C. Benda cello, The Benda Musicians.
- Radio Suisse Romande, Lalo Cello Concerto, C. Benda cello, J.-F. Monot conductor, Orchestre de la Suisse Romande.
- Radio Suisse Romande, J.A. Benda, I.J. Benda, Dvorak Rondo for Cello, Haydn C Major Cello Concerto, Suk, C. Benda cello and conductor, Suk Chamber Orchestra.
- Radio Suisse Romande, J.A. Benda, Ariane à Naxos, Dvorak, Martinu Viola Rhapsodie-Concerto, J. Suk viola, C. Benda conductor, Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne.
- Radio Suisse Romande, Beethoven¹s Triple Concerto, P. Amoyal violin, C. Benda cello, F.-R. Duchâble piano, M. Viotti conductor, Orchestre de Chambre de Lausanne.
- Télévision Suisse Romande, Debussy, C. Benda cello, R. Castro piano.
- Radio Svizzera Italiana, Boccherini Cello Concerto, Stamitz Sinfonia Concertante for violin & cello, J. Suk violin & conductor, C. Benda cello, Suk Chamber Orchestra.
- Radio Svizzera Italiana, J.A. Benda, Arianna a Nasso, C. Benda conductor, Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana.
- TV Cultura, Brazil, J.S. Bach, C. Benda cello solo.
- Bach Carl Philipp Emanuel/Hamburg Sinfoniae/Capella Istropolitana/Naxos
- Bach Johann Sebastian/Musical Offering/Capella Istropolitana/Naxos
- Benda Jiri Antonin/Medea, Ariadne, Pygmalion/Prague Chamber Orchestra/Naxos
- Benda Jiri Antonin/12 Sinfoniae/Prague Chamber Orchestra/Naxos
- Benda Composers/Violin & Viola concerti/Suk Chamber Orchestra/Josef Suk/Naxos
- Benda Composers/Konzerte u. Kammermusik/The Benda Musicians/FSM
- Benda, Composers/Konzerte u. Kammermusik/The Benda Musicians/Pantheon
- Boccherini Luigi/Sonatas for Cello & Continuo/Christian & Sebastian Benda/Naxos
- Brahms Johannes/Piano quintet, Clarinet quintet/The Benda Musicians/Price-Less
- Brahms Johannes/Klarinettentrio & Klarinettenquintett/The Benda Musicians/FSM
- Brahms Johannes & Schumann Robert/Klavierquintette/The Benda Musicians/FSM
- Busoni-Debussy-Nielsen-Rossini/Fireworks for Clarinet/Slovak Philharmony/FSM
- Casella Alfredo/Orchestral Works/Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana/Naxos
- Haydn Josef/Violin Concerti/Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra/J.J. Kantorow/Cascavelle
- Malipiero Gian Francesco/Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana/Marco Polo
- Martin Frank/Complete works for piano & orchestra/Orchestra della Svizzera Italiana/Paul Badura-Skoda & Sebastian Benda/ASV
- Martinu Boshulav Complete works for cello & piano/Christian & Sebastian Benda/Naxos
- Schumann Robert/Complete works for cello/Prague Chamber Orchestra & S. Benda/FSM
- Schumann Robert/Chamber Music/The Benda Musicians/Price-Less
- Schumann Robert/Kammermusik/The Benda Musicians/FSM
- Stamitz Carl/Cello Concerti/Prague Chamber Orchestra/Naxos